Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Last Snow Day


The snow was the icy kind that made a soft tinkling sound as it landed. I was let go early from work and stopped at the store even though the roads were getting bad very quickly. I put a few necessaries in the cart; milk, bread, eggs, but I had come for a few special items; marshmallows, hot dogs, buns. The weather was promising for a snow day tomorrow and I wanted to be ready.

When my kids were just in elementary school experiencing their first snow days, I'd build a fire and we'd roast hot dogs and marshmallows and drink cocoa. Today is a snow day and my kids are now young men, but I got hot dogs and marshmallows, maybe Simon will make cocoa and Zach will build the fire and one more time we will celebrate a snow day together.
How quickly the years have flown by and cliché becomes reality. Down my cheeks stream tears of melancholy and joy for my sons are of good character and humor, compassion and courage, I could want for nothing more.
As the flakes fall today I will warm by the fire, sip cocoa, roast marshmallows and eat a hot dog with my guys; savoring every moment before it melts away like much snow come spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment